Free MOT Check  

Tax My Car

August 27th, 2016

Do you have a (V11) reminder letter? If so simply Click Here to enter your 16 digit number on the .Gov site.

Don’t worry if you don’t have a reminder letter, you can use:

  • a V5C registration certificate (log book) that’s in your name – get a replacement if you don’t have one
  • your new keeper supplement (V5C/2) if you’ve just bought the vehicle
  • your ‘last chance’ warning letter

Other ways to apply

By phone

The GOV.UK has a contact number you can call and it’s free with your mobile minutes

Telephone: 0300 123 4321
Find out more about call charges

At the Post Office

Your local Post Office still that with vehicle tax. You’ll need payment for your vehicle tax and one of the following:

  • your vehicle tax reminder letter (V11)
  • a V5C registration certificate (log book) in your name
  • a new keeper supplement (V5C/2), if you’ve just bought the vehicle

You may also need:

  • your MOT test certificate (must be valid when the tax starts)
  • a valid reduced pollution certificate

In Northern Ireland you’ll also need an insurance certificate or cover note.

Make a SORN

If you don’t keep or use your vehicle on a public road, you can make a SORN(Statutory Off Road Notification) instead of taxing it.

Tax my Car – Check if a vehicle is taxed

tax my car

Find out the tax rate for all vehicle types. Car vehicle tax rates are based on either engine size or fuel type and CO2 emissions, depending on when the vehicle was registered. Other types of vehicle have their own rates.

If you have the V5C reference number for a vehicle, it may be quicker to use the Get vehicle information from DVLA service.

Start now on the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) website

Before you start

For cars registered before 1 March 2001 the rate of vehicle tax depends on its engine size.

The rate for cars registered on or after 1 March 2001 depends on CO2emissions and fuel type. They’ll be taxed using the old system if this information isn’t available.

Vehicle tax rates for cars, motorcycles, light goods vehicles and trades licences are also shown in the vehicle tax rate tables.

Remember: You’ll no longer receive a Tax Disc nor do you have to display one in your car screen.